Abdulkader Sinno's Academic Website
Welcome to my academic website
I am an Associate Professor of Political Science and Middle Eastern Studies at Indiana University, Bloomington. I received his PhD from UCLA in 2002, was a CISAC Postdoctoral Fellow at Stanford University in 2002-03, a 2009 Carnegie Scholar, and a 2014-15 Fellow at the Woodrow Wilson Center. My first book, Organizations at War in Afghanistan and Beyond (Cornell University Press, 2008; 2010 paperback edition) develops an organizational theory to explain the evolution and outcomes of civil wars, ethnic strife and other territorial conflicts. I am also editor of Muslims in Western Politics (Indiana University Press, 2009) and the author of articles and book chapters on Muslim minority political representation in Western liberal democracies, public attitudes towards Muslim immigration, the Arab Spring, conflict processes, and Islamist parties’ participation in elections. My articles are published in both qualitative (e.g. American Historical Review) and quantitative (e.g. Journal of Conflict Resolution) journals.
- “Different Groups, Different Threats: Public Attitudes toward Immigrants,” Journal of Ethnic and Migration Studies 43 (3), 2017: 339-358 (with Tim Hellwig).
- “Partisan Intervention and the Transformation of Afghanistan’s Civil War,” American Historical Review 120 (5), December 2015: 1811-1828.
- “Discourses on Muslims and Welfare across the Atlantic,” in An American Dilemma? Race, Ethnicity and the Welfare State in US and Europe, edited by Sonya Michel, Klaus Pedersen and Pauli Kettunen. Northampton, Mass.: Edward Elgar, 2015, pp 175-202. (with Eren Tatari, Scott Williamson, Antje Schwennicke and Hicham Bou Nassif).
- “Muslim Americans and the political system,” Chapter 19 in The Oxford Handbook of American Islam, edited by Yvonne Haddad and Jane I. Smith, 2014. New York: Oxford University Press, 2014, pp. 325-339.
Teaching: I am on sabbatical leave during AY 2017-2018
Recent Media interviews:
- July 27, 2017: Interview with al-Jazeerah on attacks on Muslim candidates
- Sept 15, 2016: Podcast with IU media school Dean Jim Shanahan on Muslims in the United States
- 2016: Multiple interviews with Voice of America on conflict in Syria and Libya.
- Dec 23, 2015: Interview with Sputnik international news agency on Taliban advances.
- Feb 1, 2015 interview with The Sankei Shimbun (Japan)
- December 16, 2014: interview with Tribune de Genève on Taliban.
- November 11, 2014: interviewed on ISIS by USA Today
- September 22, 2014: quoted in US News and World Report
- July 2, 2014: Interview with Radio VR (Voice of Russia)-- English World Service on the situation in Afghanistan
- March 17, 2014: interview with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation on elections in Afghanistan